Recent Stuff I've Made
Science research was a massive part of my life in undergrad, and it'll always hold a special place in my heart. I decided it would be fun to code something to map out where major research is coming from, and make a ranked feed with reddit's hotness algorithm.HackerPolls - with @colour
- I tried Twitter Bootstrap for the project. It's a bit tricky to be creative within the confines of it; unless I have a small project that demands good mobile scaling, I'll pass on it in the future.
- It's currently running daily automated scrapes with Nokogiri. I have like a month of data now - it might be cool to do some data analysis, though I think it might be biased towards American releases.
We recreated Hacker News' look, and populated the site with user-created polls from HN using automated scraping.
- Git is awesome for collaboration
- We got our IP throttled for scraping a little too quickly. Oops >_>. We slowed the scraping for what we pushed to production.
- Uses: Rails, Heroku, Bing Search API